Saturday, October 31, 2009

Woman Saves Four Hens From Fox

This morning I was awake at 6:30 and enjoying the fact I didn't have to get up yet. I heard my hens squawking. I rolled over on my side. The hens were really upset and squawking louder now. So I got up and looked out my bedroom window. I saw a red fox beside the coop. I knocked on the window pane. The fox looked up at me like, "Yeah, what?" The fox went back to terrorizing the hens. I opened the window and yelled at the fox, "Get outta here! Now!" I used my authoritative voice. My neighbor once told me she saw a fox with one of her hens in it's mouth. She opened her deck door and in her third grade teacher voice said, "Put that chicken down." That fox complied. Her hen limped for a week and then was fine. I must not have the same authority in my voice because this fox looked up at me and I swear it rolled it's eyes. The hens were screaming in terror. I threw on my robe and went on my deck. The fox was still at it, chasing the hens back and forth in the run. I yelled again. The fox looked at me like, "Whatever." I have a swing on my deck and I rocked it back and forth which makes a big metal noise. The fox paid a little more attention this time. It ran to the crest of the hill and sat there looking at me. I could see it's ears and the tip of it's tail. So I came back in the house and went out the front door, barelegged in the falling snow holding a camera. When the fox saw me come around the corner, it turned and ran down the hill and across the street. That is when I snapped this photo of the coop. My hens, Phyllis, Meredith, Pamela and Kelly were still very upset and squawking like the fox was still there. I talked to them and they would quiet down when I was talking but go back to hysterics as soon as I stopped. Those girls were upset. There was nothing I could do to smooth their feathers. I noticed quite a few loose feathers in the run. I wonder if the fox thrust it's paw into the run somehow. I was freezing out there in my robe so I went back in the house. The hens calmed down after 10 minutes or so. Lets hope that fox was so disappointed by the failure to have a chicken for breakfast that it won't come back again. Or, if the fox returns, it dines on rabbits and not poultry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the girls are safe!
Rene

Sue said...

Safe for now anyway.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...