Thursday, October 15, 2009

Sex Lives of Cannibals

I know "Sex Lives of Cannibals" is an odd title for a book. J. Maarten Troost wrote this entertaining travel story of a two year trip he took with his girlfriend to a very impoverished island in the Pacific ocean. He is funny. My entire book club agreed he was sometimes laugh out loud funny. What we shouldn't forget is that what he writes about is not all that funny. Poverty isn't funny. Ecological degradation isn't funny. Political greediness isn't funny. Reading this book, you can almost forget those things are not really funny. I felt I had a good taste for what life on a tropical island would be like. I don't think I'd make it there. I remember applying for a job in American Samoa when I graduated from college. I had forgotten about that for many years. After reading this book, I think I'm glad I didn't get that job. J. Maarten Troost is a very funny author. He has an awesome girlfriend who not only tolerates his slacker ways but appreciates him for it. You might like reading this light-hearted travelogue. Be prepared. The book is not about sex lives and it's not about cannibals - that is just a catchy title to get you to pick it up.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...