Sunday, October 18, 2009

Walnuts

I have a black walnut tree in my yard with which I have a love/hate relationship. It's a pretty tree and the leaves smell awesome when you brush against them. The juglone drives me crazy - it's a chemical released by the tree that kills nearly all plants underneath it. A healthy, mature black walnut is unusual this far north in my gardening zone which I like to think of as zone 4 but is probably closer to zone 3. This year the fecund tree has blessed (cursed?) me with hundreds of walnuts. I'm sure the squirrels are happy. Usually I pick up the walnuts as they fall, smell them, and throw them across the yard as far as I can throw. They are SO many! I thought my maker was giving me a sign with this unusual walnut crop. So today I gathered black walnuts. I gathered 225 black walnuts. (Is it weird that I counted?) There are hundreds still on the ground for the squirrels. I used some plastic bags and the extend-a-reacher I bought for myself after back surgery. I didn't feel like bending over 225 times. I see there are another hundred or so still hanging in the tree. As I picked them up, some walnuts fell. I could hear them tumbling through the branches so I had time to hunch up my shoulders and prepare for the knock on the head. I put the hood up on my sweatshirt. I thought if my maker hits me in the head with a walnut, that would be a different sign than the one I thought I was getting. I got no knocks in my head so now I have 3 bags of walnuts to deal with. My first step is to remove the husks. I'll have to wear some sturdy gloves because the last time I tried this I had black hands for two weeks. Then I have to cure them for a couple weeks before storing them. Before I open the walnuts they have to be soaked and baked. We'll see how it turns out. There is something about using the free bounty nature gives me that feels right.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...