Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fall Harvest




Last winter I had the idea to go underground in planting my vegetable garden this year. Turned out that was a good idea. Here are a couple photos of my harvest I dug out on Sunday (plus one egg from the chicken coop-not underground) displayed in my trusty, rusty red Radio Flyer wagon. I got lots of carrots and lots of potatoes. I bought seed potatoes for Adirondack Blue, red, and Yukon Gold potatoes. I am not seeing any red potatoes here. I guess I ran into some false advertising or a shipping mix-up. In any case, I think I'll serve some blue mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving this year along with some plain russet mashed potatoes for the less adventurous. I will let the potatoes air out in the garage for a few days to toughen up their skins before bringing them in and storing them in my lower level. I had a good harvest this year for potatoes, carrots, green beans, jalapeno peppers, lettuce and sunflowers. I had a terrible year for tomatoes, bok choy and pumpkins. I have yet to clean out the garden, plant the garlic, and cut off my bean plants. I want to cut off the bean plants rather than pull them out because their roots have nodules of nitrogen which will leave the perfect spot to put tomatoes next year.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...