Friday, November 5, 2010

Anaranjado Mi Favorito Color

In preparation for my trip to Ecuador, I’ve been listening to a book on CD in my car,  “Spanish for Dummies.”  Each chapter reviews words in English followed by the Spanish version, a pause for you to practice, another Spanish version, and a final pause for you to practice.  I’ve been trying to speak Spanish driving to work and back. I sound pretty good to myself.  I doubt I sound as good to Spanish speaking people.  Some words make sense to me.  Write is enscribir.  Comprehend in comprehende.  Shopping mall is un centralo commercial. I need is necissito.   Some Spanish I knew from watching cartoons, Sesame Street, and old westerns. Arriba is up, agua is water, beso is kiss, and hombre is man.    Some Spanish words I knew just because they are part of our culture.  Mucho is a lot, gracias is thanks, milk is leche, happy is feliz, tomorrow is mańana, and house is casa.  Some Spanish words are very similar but the emphasis is on a different syllable.  Department is departmento, music is una musica, pharmacy is la farmacia, and telephone is un telefano.  I think some Spanish words are really cute.  Bonito is pretty, car is un coche, and Sunday is Domingo.  Some Spanish words are just too hard.  Que es la fecha? That means what is the date? I won’t bother to memorize that.  I’ll be on vacation.  I won’t need the date. Puedo pedirles indicaciones?  That means may I ask you for directions?  I won’t spend my time learning that because I am pretty sure I won’t understand the directions anyway.  I’ll just concentrate on the important ones like “Donde esta cuarto de bano?”  (Where is the bathroom)?   And “Soy un vegetariano.” (I am a vegetarian).  I am making some flash cards to keep up my skills.  Wish me luck, por favor.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...