Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Successful Trial

On Sunday I did a trial run for Thanksgiving.  I made some dinner rolls just to see how they turned out.  I brought the dinner rolls to work on Monday and they were gone in no time so I guess that means they were a success.  Here is the recipe in case you want to try it.
Dinner Rolls (adapted from allrecipes.com)  Serves 16
Ingredients:  1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees), 1/2 cup warm milk, 1 egg, 1/3 cup butter-softened, 1/3 cup white sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour, 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 .25 ounce package active dry yeast, 1/4 cup butter softened
Directions: Place water, milk, egg, 1/3 cup butter, sugar, salt, flour and yeast in the pan of the bread machine.  Select dough/knead and rise first cycle, press start.  When the cycle finishes, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Divide the dough in half.  Roll each half into a 12 inch circle.  Spread the 1/4 cup butter over entire round.  Cut each circle into 8 wedges.  Roll wedges starting at wide end; roll gently but tightly.  Place point side down on ungreased cookie sheet.  Cover with clean kitchen towel and put in a warm place, let rise 1 hour.  Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes until golden.
Note:  the original recipe did not call for whole wheat flour.  I used it because I ran out of regular unbleached flour.  If I had to do it again I would use the same combination of whole wheat and regular flour.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...