Friday, November 19, 2010

Recovery of the Gray Wolf

I brought a friend with me to the north metro chapter meeting of the Master naturalists.  She thought the meeting was educational and inspiring.  She said she felt more motivated to do more volunteer work.  I hadn't noticed before but those meetings inspire me too.  This month the talk was about the "Recovery of the Gray Wolf."  Peggy Callahan, director of the Wildlife Science Center spoke.  She brought along one of her rescue dogs - a big, stinky black German Shepard that weighed 130 pounds.  His head was massive.  His ears were so big I could hide my fists behind each one.  Peggy says it is important to involve all the senses when you are teaching about nature.  You can't let students touch a wolf but they can touch a big German Shepard.  She talked for a while about hunting.  She told about her first hunting experience hunting grouse.  At first she shot a lot of popple.  When she got the grouse she felt a rush of emotions like sadness, elation, and humility.  In the future she hopes to see the wolf population improve to the point where wolf hunts are allowed.  Our first question was, why would somebody hunt a wolf?  To eat?  Peggy says we should hold on judging others on the reason for the hunt.  Some people hunt for food but others hunt for non-food reasons. As long as the hunt is legal, judgement should be withheld.  She also advises us to buy a hunting license.  Even if you don't hunt, buy a license.  The money from those licenses are used to purchase and improve wildlife habitat.  She told us to "Buy a hunting license" over and over and over again.  I would not mind improving the habitat for ducks or moose or bear but I think the DNR has done WAY too much improving the habitat for deer and geese.  I'll have to consider buying a hunting license.  I've bought fishing licences before but never a hunting license. She also talked about the Department of Natural Resources being a political entity.  The DNR has to listen to their boss.  She said the last time a scientist was appointed to run the DNR was during Arne Carlson's administration.  Peggy was a passionate and engaging speaker.  I enjoyed being around these tree huggers.  Someone brought in a bone she found in a tree.  We all gather around and admire the teeth marks left by some animal gnawing on the bone.  Another lady brought in a hairless rat.  Some said the hairless rat was cut.  Yeah, I don't think so.  We admire fox pictures where it looks like the fox is actually hamming it up for the camera.  These meetings are a lot of fun for me.                    

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...