Wednesday, November 3, 2010

New Bird Feeder

The bird feeder is strung on a wire with pvc pipe on both sides.  When the squirrels try to cross the wire, the pvc pipe will spin when they step on it and throw them to the ground. Bwa ha ha ha ha!
No squirrel can jump this high!
I am getting all set for another season of Project Feederwatch - a citizen science project for Cornell Department of Ornithology.  This is a project where it becomes important and useful to watch birds out of my window during winter weekends.  I'm trying to attract as many birds as possible.  I now have two black sunflower seed feeders, a thistle feeder, a suet feeder, a heated bird bath, and left over canary food on the deck railing for the ground feeders like juncos.  I have crabapple, red oak, white oak, black spruce, blue spruce, white pine, hackberry, basswood, birch, elm, apple, and maple trees to provide cover.  I leave the seed heads of the black eyed susans, milkweed and goldenrod available. What else could a bird possibly desire?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...