Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Fourth Continent

Oh, boy.  Oh, boy.  Oh, boy!  I just signed up for another trip - this time to South America.  I am traveling with another Master Naturalist.  We'll fly into Quito, Ecuador and then take a guided tour of the Galapagos Islands in January, 2011.  As I child I remember the Galapagos tortoises at Como Zoo.  Kids would line up to take a ride on the back of a tortoise.  I did it too.  I remember the strange feeling of slow progression and the sound of the claws on the cement.  I'll get to see the Galapagos tortoise again.  We're not allowed to ride them though.  I am super excited to take this trip.  I feel blessed to have the circumstances come together to make this possible.  This will be my fourth continent.  Besides North America (of course) I've been to Europe and Africa.  This will be my second trip across the equator.  Here is a brief description of the trip: 


Tortuga Galapagos Adventure Trip: Quito to Quito
Wed: Arrive Quito
Thu: Cycle San Cristobal highlands
Fri: Snorkel or dive with seals and manta rays at Kicker Rock
Sat: Snorkel Floreana Island, visit pink flamingos 
Sun: Hike Sierra Negra Volcano
Mon: Giant tortoise breeding centre, coastal hike, visit sea life
Tue: Hike Santa Cruz highlands and Tortuga Bay, visit giant tortoises
Wed: Visit Charles Darwin Research Station, snorkel Santa Fe Island
Thu: Optional hike and return to Quito
Fri: Quito, depart for home

You can go to this website if you want to see more details on the itinerary:   http://www.activesouthamerica.com/itineraries-tortuga.php

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...