Sunday, November 21, 2010

Project Feederwatch

Northern Cardinals - 5, Black capped Chickadee - 7, Junco - 3, White breasted nuthatch - 2, Downy woodpecker - 2, American Crow - 1, Red bellied woodpecker - 2, Robin - 1, Blue jay - 2, Goldfinch - 2   
I think my new bird feeder set up is working. I am seeing more birds.  I've never had more than two cardinals before.  Three of the cardinals were female.  And I've never had more than one red bellied woodpecker at a time either.  I think they were two males because they were fighting and chasing each other off the suet feeders.  The yellow cord suspending the bird feeder was slippery this morning.  I think the freezing rain stuck to the cord because I saw several birds try to land on it and loose their balance.  Unfortunately, one of the gray squirrels got onto my new bird feeder.  He sat on the roof of the suspended feeder and threw handfuls of black sunflower seeds down to his cohorts waiting below.  He didn't cross over on the line.  I watched him to figure out what he was doing.  He threw himself through the air like a freaking trapeze artist from the deck railing.  I guess I'll have to more the feeder a little further away from the deck to foil him.                                                

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...