Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Black Spruce Damage

The heavy snow on Saturday broke two branches off one of my  black spruce.  The smaller branch had little pine cones on the top.  I trimmed the bottom and stuck it in a pot for winter decoration.

I trimmed the larger branch and put it in a holiday tree holder and tied it to a bluebird house.

This is the black spruce. Wind has broken the top off twice.  It has a disease called dwarf mistletoe that creates all these bundles of branches.  The mistletoe almost looks like huge nests inside the branches of the tree.

This is the base of the black spruce.  See the green lichen, pruning scars, and the muscular looking roots?  I think this tree trunk is buff.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...