Saturday, November 27, 2010

Me versus Squirrels

Here is my new anti-squirrel birdfeeder set up as seen from the living room window.  On the yellow cord, from the house or from the left is a tin pie plate, 6 inch pvc pipe with a diameter of one half inch, empty iced tea bottle with hole in bottom, another six inch piece of pvc pipe, the feeder, an ice tea bottle, more pvc pipe, an ice tea bottle and another tin pie plate.  I put it up on Friday.  On Friday we enjoyed watching squirrels run down the cord, stop at the pie plate, and turn around to come back.  They did this repeatedly.  On Saturday, however, I found a squirrel on the birdfeeder.  Curses!  How the squirrel got past the pie plate and past three spinning items is beyond me.  I am really disappointed that this doesn't work.  Plus it looks like I have suspended garbage over my lawn.  I watched for  quite a while today.  I never saw a squirrel get on the bird feeder even though I chased them off three times.  They are smart enough to get on when I am not looking.  Here is my next idea.  I'll buy two six feet pieces of pvc pipe that has a diameter of two inches and put one on each side of the feeder.  Or do you think I should make that 8 feet long?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...