Monday, September 8, 2014

3-1=2

On Saturday morning I checked on my chickens before I went kayaking.  I gave them fresh water and a handful on sunflower seeds for a treat.  My three chickens gobbled up the seeds eagerly.  In the afternoon I came back to look for eggs and offer more fresh water.  Two chickens were out hoping for more sunflower seeds.  I opened the coop to check on the third chicken and she lay dead on the floor with her lower (nictating) eyelids closed.  Oh, such a sad discovery.  I have no idea why she died.  She seemed healthy this morning.  Is a natural death better than being preyed upon by a red fox?  I really hope she didn't die egg bound because that sounds like a perfectly horrible way to die.  I disposed of her body without a post-mortem or even a close inspection.  I'm curious but not curious enough to outweigh the ick factor it takes to examine a chicken carcass. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...