Monday, September 15, 2014

Measure Twice

I started this deck project 14 months ago and I'm still at it.  Offspring #2 helped me put up deck stair railings and balusters.  Many thanks to Offspring #2. She is awesome at carpentry.  She is a master driller and a competent screw driver. Some times we get the giggles while working to the point where neither one of us can breathe. We have four sections to complete and we got 3 done.  This involves cutting the plastic wood at and angle and attaching it to the posts.  We do it carefully because this involves not only the length of the wood but the angle as well.  We figured the angle to be about 33 degrees, or 31.6 or 32.  Yeah, about that.  We held the boards carefully where we wanted them to be.  And we marked them with permanent marker exactly where we wanted the cut to be. Then we carried the wood down to my miter saw.  The miter saw is great.  This saw cuts through the wood like butter.  We held the wood to the miter saw and lined up the saw exactly where we had marked.  And then moved it an inch longer.  We cut 9 boards in total and in 8 of the 9 boards, an approximate inch longer than what we had measured turned out to be exactly right.  Only the last board needed to be cut exactly where we had measured it.  This project just about maxes out my carpentry abilities.  By the time we finished the railings on the deck it self I had become a master at it.  Stair railings are a whole new ball of wax.  I have one section of stair railing left to complete.  After that we need to attach the fascia board.  I have no idea how to attach the fascia board but I'm not going to worry about it until the railings are done.  What I do know for sure is that my next project is going to be a whole lot easier  and quicker than this one.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...