Friday, September 5, 2014

Bones In The Pool

Earlier this summer I visited the Jeffers petroglyph historic site.  On impulse, I bought some bone beads at the little store inside the building.  Some beads were 10 cents.  Others cost 50 cents. I think I spent two dollars on bone beads and with that I got a free piece of thread.  When I got home I threaded some of the beads.  I couldn't use all the beads because some did not have a hole all the way through.  Once I had it done, what was I going to do with this bone bead piece of jewelry?  I spent the money so I'm going to use the product. I thought it was too odd to wear on my wrist.  With only a knot to open and close it, I wanted to wear it without having to remove it.  So I tied it around my ankle and forgot about it.  One family member asked about it and I explained that it made out of bone beads.  "Human bones?" he asked.  I actually hadn't thought of that.  I'm pretty sure it was not human bone beads. As a vegetarian, I didn't want to think about the donor of these bone beads at length.  I figured that the threads would wear out and I wouldn't wear it long.  Today the threads wore out.  My anklet wore out while I was swimming lap 35.  My mile long goal means 36 laps so I stopped short of a mile to pick up bones off the pool floor.  The threads broke where the water was about 4 feet deep.  And even though I wear ear plugs, I get water in my ear when I dive.  So I tried picking up the bone beads with my toes.  The bigger beads were easy but I don't have monkey toes. The ten cent beads are hard to keep a grasp on.   The pool was crowded when I started swimming but was empty now so I didn't have to worry about others watching me.    I swam the rest of the lap with one fist closed tightly. I think I got all the bones out of the pool.   

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...