Thursday, September 25, 2014

My Eulogy

I went to a funeral this week of a woman who died too young.  Her coworkers and friends and family spoke about her in glowing terms.  This woman was a force of nature.  She made an entrance when she came into a room.  It's hard for me to imagine that her energy can possibly be extinguished. Her dedication to her work, her friends and to her family was abundant.  I wonder if anyone will speak of me as highly when it is my turn to go.  And what can I do about that?  Should I cultivate new friends who are good public speakers, look good in black, and can charm an assembly of people with funny stories?  Or should I plod on living my life and appreciating the little things like she did?  I hope my coworkers will say kind word about me at my retirement, not my funeral.  This woman died before she was able to retire.  I guess we never know when we are making an impact on someone.  So if you notice someone has cute hair today, give them a compliment.  Don't wait.  They may style their hair worse tomorrow so off that compliment as soon as it comes into your head.  Cherish your relationships.  Don't spend your time chasing fame and fortune.  Fame and fortune won't come and speak at your funeral.  Life is short.  I learned that lesson again this week.   

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...