Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Too Late For Yellow Headed Blackbirds

Yesterday was so beautiful I just had to get out.  I decided to head over to Round Lake and look for the yellow headed black birds that live in the bull rush islands.  I was happy to see some tadpoles in the shallow water when I put the boat in.  I paddled through the waves to the weeds where the water was quieter.

The water lilies were so close together the edges curled up like so many deep dish pizza pans.

The water lilies were in bloom.  I sat in the lilies and soaked up the sun shine, the scenery, the sounds and the smells.  it was very relaxing.

I was too late.  The yellow headed black birds had left.  I did see some coots, an osprey, Trumpeter swans, Canadian geese, a bald eagle, a great blue heron, and tree swallows.  A Monarch butterfly was flying across the lake and almost struck me in the face.

This is my first outing with my new camera.

I can't think of a better way to spend this day than to sit in my kayak relaxing.

Next year I vow to come and see the yellow headed black birds earlier.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...