Monday, September 15, 2014

Turnip Sweet Potato Jalapeno Soup

I could call this soup "CSA Surprise."  I have never bought a turnip in my entire life.  But I got one today with my CSA allottment and decided to make soup out of it.  It's tasty too!

Ingredients:  one turnip, peeled and diced, one sweet potato peeled and diced, one onion peeled and diced, 2 sections of garlic peeled and diced, one pepper diced ( In included the seeds which makes it spicier than if I had removed the seeds), 2 TB butter, 3 cups water, 2 cubes vegie broth, 3/4 cup whole milk, salt and pepper to taste, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 2 fresh basil leaves, one handful fresh parsley, cayenne pepper to taste.
 jalapeno
Melt butter and saute onion, pepper, and garlic.  Add water, turnip, sweet potato and vegie broth and simmer for 30 minutes until vegetables are soft.  Add spices.  Puree ingredients with immersion blender,  Add milk and stir until warm again.  Serve.

I never thought a turnip would taste so good.  Raw it has a similar taste and texture to kohlrabi.  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...