Saturday, September 20, 2014

Long Time Ambition

Thirty years ago I listened as my Grandmother told my Mother about a certain relative who biked all the way to Stillwater from Saint Paul.  The point my Grandmother was trying to make was the irresponsibility of biking farther than you can get home.  This relative called for a ride home from Stillwater.  What I remember is that she BIKED ALL THE WAY TO STILLWATER!  I wanted to do that someday.

Today I biked all the way to Stillwater.  22 miles.  I biked 22 miles today.  I borrowed an awesome orange bike from my nephew.

And I got a ride home.  The ride home was arranged ahead of time.

We had the awesome Gateway Trail to bike which I'm sure is much nicer than what was available 30 years ago.

Much of the trail was shaded.  We saw squirrels, snakes and a turtle on the trail.

Most of it was flat and easy to bike.  A few overpasses challenged my thighs.

We had a fun day biking and a great lunch at the Freighthouse.

My legs aren't sore today.  My rear end isn't sore.  My arms aren't sore.   But my pinky finger is still numb and I stopped biking over 6 hours ago.  I never would have guessed my pinky finger would be the body part that would suffer.  I guess I was leaning too hard on the handlebars.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Annie biked to Hastings to Aunt Kate's house.

Sue said...

What? That is like 27 miles. Or maybe more because I think they lived a couple miles on the other side of town. I'm glad I didn't know that until now because I'm too old to be chasing too many of the things she did.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...