Saturday, September 6, 2014

Sunrise River

East of East Bethel (Easter Bethel?) is the town of Linwood.  And that is where Martin Lake is. A friend took me kayaking on Martin Lake and we went up the west branch of the Sunrise River. 

The sky was so blue it was beyond belief.  We saw a green heron avoiding us.  A bittern, a very reclusive bird, got scared by us and flew up in a tree to look us over.  We saw a comorant, great blue herons, and Canadian geese.  We were surprised how few boats were on this heavily developed lake.  We went up the river until we came to a road.  We found it easy to paddle against the current. The bridge over the river left about 2 feet of space between the water and the roof of the concrete tunnel under the bridge.  I swept cobwebs out of the way to check it out.  If I put my paddle sideways and laid as flat as possible in my kayak it's possible I could have made it through under the bridge by pulling myself along the concrete roof with my hands.  We decided against going under the bridge.

See how the yellow flowers are reflected in the river water?  What an awesome way to spend a Saturday morning.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...