Monday, September 29, 2014

Telephone Troubles

Some unknown woman has been calling me repeatedly and causing problems.  This started on Friday as I was busy cooking dinner for my children.  She called three times in succession.  The first time she asked for a female first name and my last name.  She pronounced my last name correctly.  I informed her she had the wrong number.  She called back immediately so I didn't pick up.  She left a message asking for a different female first name and my last name.  And then she giggled before she hung up.  The phone rang again and I was a little miffed when I picked up the phone and it turned out to be someone I knew.  And then she called again and I didn't answer and she just left a giggle on the answering machine.  The next time she called was at 4:40 a.m. on Sunday.  I answered expecting bad news. The same woman was calling and she asked for a female first name.  I recognized her voice from Friday.  I angrily said it was 4 o'clock in the morning and she had the wrong number.  She giggled!  I hung up.  She called right back.  She left a message.  She said, "Did Larry watch the Twilight Zone like I told him to?"  And then she giggled.  Her giggle was super annoying at this time of the morning. My dang answering machine beeps every 15 seconds until I listen to the message so I had to get out of bed and play the message.  She called again at 4:43 and I just picked up the phone and hung it up on her.  I dialed *57 to trace the call in the morning which costs me a dollar but if she calls 3 times I can have her number blocked.  She didn't call back until Sunday afternoon when I was out. Two of the the three messages were hang ups. The third message said, "Hi. This is Timmy's wife. Um, I want a baby doll.  And you guys have lots of them laying around the house.  Just to borrow until I get my own.  I am going to buy them at the antique shop.  Just a couple. You know Tim was laughing at me.  It's not even funny. Then I explained that you have all these dolls sitting around the house.  It's perfectly natural for a woman to like them.  You start out as a little girl liking them.  Not me though  I had a little brother.  Ever since I was 2 and a half.  So plastic couldn't measure up.  Bye now."  After hearing that message I am convinced that this woman has problems.  She might be mentally ill or she might have dementia but she has some kind of problem.  Poor soul.  I couldn't call *57 after the call on Sunday because I don't know for sure that she was the last number who called.  Someone else might have called after her and didn't leave a message and I don't want to trace the number unless I know for sure it was her.  I want to be compassionate because someday I might be the forgetful one leaving strange messages.  I sure hope I don't call anyone at 4:40 on a Sunday morning.  But I get what she is saying.  I had a little brother too. Plastic doesn't measure up to little brothers.  Even with her brain problems she has profound thoughts.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...