Sunday, January 22, 2017

A Day To Remember

Yesterday I attended the women's march on Washington in Saint Paul. My sibling and I got there extra early so we stood around for a long time.  I saw lots of pink hats with ears.  These hats refer to a comment our President made about grabbing women without consent.  I did not expect to see so many of these hats.  I had no idea there were so many expert knitters in our area.  I can knit.  I can knit a bag or a blanket or a scarf.  I have even made hats.  But a hat with ears if beyond my ability so far.

At almost 11 o;clock the speaker gave us a two minute warning that the march would begin.  At noon we were still standing in the same place.  An expected crowd of 30,000 actually came out to be nearly 100,000.  We had the chance to see many homemade signs.  We would decide if we would or would not feel comfortable holding each sign.  Some were medical in nature depicting the female sexual organs.  I thought one sign was confusing until I realized one of the ovaries was flipping the bird.  SCIENCE IS A THING-I could hold that sign.  I saw lots of signs about reproductive rights and Planned Parenthood.  I saw signs about climate change, education, free speech and inclusion.  I saw some signs that were anti-Trump but those were few and far between.  I saw one sign that read I'M TOO ANXIOUS TO COME UP WITH A CLEVER SIGN.  Four people held one wide sign that depicted the photos of ten American female leaders and that was a cool sign but no fun to walk behind.  One large sign read I KNOW SIGNS. THIS IS THE BEST SIGN EVER.  EVERYBODY THINKS SO. Next to that sign  was another sign that read IT'S A TERRIBLE SIGN. EVERYONE KNOWS IT AND AGREES.

That four person sign is on the left.  About 12:30 we finally got out of the parking lot and onto the street.  My legs were stiff and it felt good to move.  I was happy to see so many people of all ages.

When I am old and confined to a chair, I can think back to this day and be glad I went.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...