Friday, January 27, 2017

Close Call(s)

I am getting nervous because in the last month I have witnessed 5 car accidents.  Some were fender benders on icy roads.  One was a fender bender due to distraction.  Today was the worst and the roads were dry and the sky was sunny.  I was heading west on Highway 10 at about the noon hour. A small car was slow to merge from Main Street so I slowed down to let them in.  Mentally I encouraged the driver by saying, "Step on it Martha!"  But the car was slow to accelerate.  At Round Lake another car was trying to merge in and this driver (who I just helped) wasn't returning the favor to the next motorist to merge in.  I don't think the driver was paying attention.  At the last minute it did notice and quickly moved to the left lane.  In the left lane was a fast car.  I estimate it was going over 80 miles per hour.  And that would have been acceptable if it was paying attention to the little car that was suddenly in it's path.  I hold my breath because the speeder is not slowing down at all.  I just know an accident is about to happen.  I hate knowing accidents are inevitable. Adrenalin floods my system and my guts sort of melt together. Just before impact the speeder sees the little car and slams on the brake and veers into the median.  The speeding car is going so fast it takes out about 15 posts that hold up the restraining cables.  Each post flies up about 10 feet into the air and lands in the fast lane.  I slow down and move to the shoulder.  The little car who almost got rear ended moves to the slow lane and drives away like nothing happened.  At the 15th post the car had moved into the cable enough that a post could stop it.  The car hit the post and spun violently to the left.  For a couple seconds it moved into the median.  Those cables gave and like a giant metal slingshot it pushed the car out of the ditch, back end leading, into the fast lane again. Actually it went a little bit past the fast lane into the slow lane right where I would have been if I had not been on the shoulder.  Oh, that was close.  I am driving the company car and I forgot my cell phone.  Cars behind me stop to help so I keep driving to my meeting.  Oh, my, I got there safe.  My defensive driving skills came in handy again. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...