Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Caleb's Crossing

When I grabbed Caleb's Crossing off the shelf at the library I didn't realize it was the Puritans who lived on Martha's Vineyard during the 1660's.  At first words like alas and  mislike put me off.  As I heard the story told by Bethia, a adolescent girl who struggles to find her way in a society that represses women and is fond of harsh punishment, I got used to her words.  This was a really gripping story about the Pilgrims and the Indians, about American history, about surviving on an island in the Atlantic, about the Puritan faith and the Native American beliefs.  This book was so good I mourned coming to the last chapter.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...