Monday, January 9, 2017

Taken For Granted

Today when I got to work I learned that the city of Blaine put out an order advising us not to drink the water unless it was boiled.  Water?  No water to drink?  I take water for granted.  Fresh air, water, and freedom have always been constants in my life.  What a strange day.  I had to break my vow not to drink water out of plastic bottles.  I was glad I bring my own coffee from home.  It is possible the water is fine but they didn't know for sure because due to a computer malfunction, the water in the water tower didn't circulate like it should have and contamination may have happened.  It's an odd thing not to have access to clean water.  More accurately, it's an odd thing not to know for sure that I have access to clean water.  You wash your hands in the sink and don't know if you made your hands cleaner or dirtier.  I realized today that I am a lucky person in a way I hadn't realized before. Some people never have access to clean water.  Some people have to haul water out of the river in buckets and hope no crocodiles attack.  All I do is turn on the tap and clean water comes out in both cold and hot varieties.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...