Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The Reader

My book club read The Reader by Bernhard Schlink.  As I read it for the meeting I realized not only that I had read it before but had seen the movie version too.  But it was an excellent story so I didn't mind.  Plus, as usual, without the book club discussion, I missed some pretty important facts.  Other people missed them too.  The story illustrates what it was like for the German youth after the end of World War Two.  Politically it is an interesting book to read regarding the war but also the divide between the wealthy and the poor. In this case it is defined  as literate (wealthy) and illiterate (poor).  Our group extended that discussion to moral and immoral.  We didn't think that the poor and illiterate were less moral.  Being illiterate can be such an issue of shame.  Would you confess to terrible acts during war time just to avoid anyone knowing you could not read? Lucky for me I am literate so I will never ever find out. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...