Sunday, January 8, 2017

Winter Sounds

This morning I took care of my hens and carried a week's worth of compost across the yard to dump in my compost pile.  Near the house the path is icy but farther out the snow is easier to walk on.  A week of very cold weather with lots of sunshine has formed a crust on top of the snow.  As I walk my boots sink slightly into the snow and the sound is so crunchy!  The snow sounds like, I don't know how to describe it, but if it were a word it would have several k's, a couple w's, some h's and maybe a couple of r's but definitely no vowels.  The sound of the snow was like someone biting into a very thin shortbread. No, shortbread isn't crunchy enough.  More like a potato chip.  The snow sounds like someone biting into a very crisp, fresh, potato chip.  The  sound was like someone biting one of those very rare potato chips that has bubbled outward in the fat on both sides. I don't know if a potato chip could sound as crunchy as the snow in my back yard was this morning. Just think, some people have never heard that sound; never experienced walking on a crusty snow.  Was I cold out there walking in the crunchy snow?  Yes, but I knew it was a temporary feeling. I knew I would warm up again.  But I did enjoy the sounds I heard.  I wonder why I have a craving for potato chips and shortbread?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...