Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Chorus Frogs Calling!



The weather has been so nice this week I have taken people on a lunch time walk near Laddie Lake.  Monday was beautiful.  We heard red winged blackbirds and blue jays and Canadian Geese.  Ice was still evident in the flooded area next to the path. Today was also beautiful. We heard all those birds and we saw a dead cat.  As we're rounding the lake I told my walking partner, "I haven't seen any butter . . ." I saw something orange flying so I stopped talking. Right there on the side of the path was a tiny orange butterfly, possibly and Eastern comma.  What are the chances that the first butterfly of the season should appear when I was in the middle of saying the word butterfly? Before we got to the flooded area I got all excited again.  Chorus frogs were calling!  Welcome back chorus frogs!  Your sexy mating calls are music to my ears.  When we got closer to that area where the frogs were calling, we could see dark chunks of ice still very much in evidence among the leaves and grasses and drowning trees.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...