Thursday, March 2, 2017

This Side of the Sod

I was reminded this week that life doesn't owe us anything.  We're alive.  Others are dead. We're not alive because we're better or smarter or more deserving than those who have died.  I asked a work acquaintance a question.  Well, she is a 25+ year work acquaintance and more than an acquaintance but we've never spent unpaid time together so I guess she's not really a friend.  But I like her and she likes me so we're more than acquaintances.  I asked her about a woman I heard who died.  That woman was her sister, her best friend, and the longest love of her life.  She told me, over a 60 minute period a series of interactions they have had together as sisters and best friends. Frontal lobe dementia stole her brain.  Bit by bit, ability by ability, she died quickly and slowly.  Every time they came up with a good plan to handle her lack of ability she got worse before than plan could be put into effect.  I can not imagine helping a sister through a situation like this. My heart would break.  On the last night of her life her sister (my acquaintance) stopped by the nursing home to visit her. She noticed the fear in her face at being lifted by a hoyer lift into bed because she was unable to walk anymore.  Her sister fed her supper because she was the only one her sister would allow to do it.  Her sister helped her into her pajamas.  Her sister kissed her nose before going home at 7 o'clock on a Friday night.  Her sister put on a relaxation CD for her to listen to as she fell asleep.  Her sister died before the CD was over. I hope I am as lucky to die loved like this woman was loved.  My friend listened to the CD again a week after her death. Listening to the music her sister heard as her heart beat for the last time was a spiritual experience.  My friend/acquaintance helped me realize, again, that I am not owed anything.  I could die at any time. Do I wonder about politics? Yes. Do I wonder why buying beer on  Sunday is the biggest issue for the Minnesota legislature?  Yes I do.  My friend/acquaintance reminded me that any day I spend on this side of the sod is a blessing and I shouldn't take it for granted.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...