Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Exciting Big White Bird!

Yesterday I drove to the airport again.  It's never as much fun to drop off or pick someone up as it is to be the one leaving but we must all take our turns in life.  Yesterday I left work and drove through Minneapolis during rush hour to the airport where Offspring #2 was returning from a couple weeks in the southern hemisphere.  I drive this way all the time so I know when to worry about what lane I am in and when I can relax.  Today, as I turned off Highway 55 toward Terminal One a big white bird flew over my car.   Gasp! What is that?  A snowy owl?  No, it didn't look like an owl.  But it was too big to be a gull.  Too short to be an egret.  Was it an angel?  No, I'm still alive.  It's not an angel.  What other white birds do we have?   Pelican? This one was too small to be a pelican. I had to focus on driving so I put the big white bird out of my mind temporarily.  I pick up three tired travelers at door one. They fit easily into my car because their luggage is still in Florida.  Could be worse.  Having luggage in Peru is worse than Orlando.  I drop them off at their destinations and, to my surprise, am home again before 6 o'clock.  I see on my birding website that someone saw a big white bird near Hwy 494 and Hwy 62 this afternoon and wondered what it was. Other birders respond that a leucistic red tailed hawk is commonly seen there.  Oh, what relief to know what that big white bird was.  This is my first leucistic bird sighting.  Unlike albino creatures, leucistic animals have normal eye color.  I saw a leucistic red tailed hawk!  That is very exciting!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...