Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Contagious

Lots of illnesses spreading around lately.  People are picking up colds, the flu, sinus infections, and to top that off, a little bit of ringworm too.  Yikes. Contagion sucks.  Why can't people spread good germs to each other instead of all these nasty germs?  I'd like to see some feed good germs, better looking germs, increased productivity germs, or overall well-being germs.  When I think about it laughter can be contagious.  But how long does that last?  Colds last two weeks.  Laughter is contagious for a much shorter time. A few seconds.  Maybe that is a good thing.  I would not like to laugh for two solid weeks.  I think I'd rather catch a cold than laugh for two weeks.  On the other hand I have a friend who is so supportive she reminds me of a warm blanket. She and I were friends when my offspring were small.  And if you know me, you know that not everything in the parenting department went according to plan.  I was not living the life of June Cleaver.  I never wanted to be a stay at home Mom but I wanted the family life I saw on "Leave It To Beaver."  I would share my troubles with my friend.  She would listen carefully, ask probing questions, and always end with, "You're a good Mom."  At first I didn't believe her.  But she kept saying it over and over, time after time.  After, I think it was the eighth time she said it, I had to think to myself that either my friend is right or she is wrong.  So I asked myself, is she smart?  Yes.  Is she sincere? Totally.  Do I trust her judgement?  Absolutely.  Is the Beaver really June Cleaver's son?  No!  That is television.  For all we know Wally has a secret drinking problem. So that meant my friend had to be right. My friend's faith in me was contagious. I began to believe I was a good Mom and because of that belief, that confidence, I was a better Mom.  Shoot!  That friend is way better than any cold or flu.  She changed me.  She changed my image of myself.  Maybe she didn't make me feel good for two solid weeks like a cold makes me feel bad for 14 days, but I'll take it.  Besides, face it, if you had the power to make people look more attractive for two weeks after every meeting, the line at your door would be so long you'd never get anything done.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...