Tuesday, March 14, 2017

You Can't Make This Stuff Up

Sometimes life is baffling to me.  Baffling I say.  Or perplexing.  The first thing that baffled me was the state legislature agreed to something before May. Usually it's all talk and no action until the last minute, as if they are paid to procrastinate. Well, generally they are paid to procrastinate. Except this year. This year a single idea united them and they passed a bill months before the month of May.  Was the idea, this important idea, related to social issues?  Oh, no.  Environmental issues? Nope.  And it wasn't education, the budget, wages, prison reform, opioid addiction, potholes, labor law or the shortage of labor in social services?  No.  The one issue the legislative body of our state agreed on was buying booze on Sunday. That was the first thing that baffled me. Beginning in July, I can buy liquor on Sunday.  The ban on Sunday liquor sales has been in effect for 159 years, as long as Minnesota has been a state. Am I grateful for this privilege? No.  I have contacted my legislators a few times over my voting years about social issues and the environment but never, not ever, seriously, not even once, about buying alcohol on Sunday.  And I didn't see any yard signs, bill boards, political advertising about buying alcohol on Sunday. I am baffled.  On top of that, one of the most respected wine stores in Minneapolis, the one that offers fancy wine and wine classes, the one on Hennepin open since 1934 took this new law that goes into effect in July and decides not to wait until July.  Surdyks Liquor and Cheese Store was open on March 12.  What?!?  Who is this Minneapolis law breaker Jim Surdyk?  Is he a criminal or a hero?  Was he drinking when he made this choice? Maybe he's one of the classic American rebels! He could be a maverick sommelier.  His grandfather opened the store right after prohibition which was an exciting time in the liquor industry.  With his action of being open this past Sunday, he is also in an exciting time in the liquor industry.  He was honest.  He said he was going to be open on Sunday.   He made a bold decision.  I'll give him that. The city of Minneapolis did not like his choice. Some people thought he was kidding. What baffles me further is that some people drove to Surdyks on Sunday from many miles away (such as Forest Lake) to buy booze because, well, because it was against the law.  The city got so mad they took away his liquor license for a whole month and they added a fine of $2000.  The only thing about this whole story that doesn't baffle me is the reaction from the city of Minneapolis. 
    

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...