Thursday, October 25, 2018

Don't Cry Over Spilled Prune Juice

Today I must have had butter fingers because I dropped a glass jar of soup all over the floor. Uff Da.  What a mess. As I wiped up the kale, potatoes, and broth I thought of the biggest mess I ever made by dropping something.  Instantly I am 16 years old again working at my first job. I am wearing the white polyester uniform of a nurses aid. I am in the med room with the LPN on duty. She had a white dress on and one of those old fashioned nurse caps on her head. She is short and solid and she reminded me of Aunt Bea from the Andy Griffith show. She was very nice. She is dishing out pills into little paper cups. She asked me to take the container of prune juice and the container of apple juice out of the fridge and put them on the cart. These juice containers are plastic gallon sized jugs with metal screw on lid.  I have the apple juice container in one hand the prune juice container on my right hand.  Of the two containers of juice, guess which one falls from my hand?  The not so bad apple juice or the dark brown prune juice? Yep, the prune juice lid let go of the container. The container hit the floor hard and stayed upright. Brown juice from prunes splashed up and out in every possible direction.  Prune juice hit the ceiling. Prune juice hit the starched white cap of the nurse.  Prune juice splashed me in the face. Prune juice flew into dozens of little paper cups of medicine.  Prune juice on the cupboard doors. Prune juice in the drawers. Prune juice on my pants and shirt. Prune juice on the nurses's white dress, white nylons, and white shoes. Prune juice was everywhere even though there was still a third of a gallon inside the jug. I look down at the brown puddle of prune juice on the floor and I am 100% mortified. The nurse does not blow her top. She helps me clean up the mess. She is ever so patient. We wipe up prune juice as best we can.  I feel the most terrible about her little white cap.  How will she ever turn that brown polka dotted cap into a white cap again?  The next day she approaches me about the prune juice fiasco. She tells me she asked the kitchen staff to be sure to put the caps on the juice jugs on nice and tight from now on.  Wow, what a classy nurse. The fault was mine, not the kitchen staff. Her comment lets me know I am off the hook. I should have moved one jug at a time and put one hand below the jug as I lifted it onto the cart. From then on I moved one jug at a time and v.e.r.y. c.a.r.e.f.u.l.l.y.  If I am lucky, that will be the biggest mess I ever make by dropping something.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...