Tuesday, October 2, 2018

The Marsh King's Daughter

I got lucky when I picked up this book by Karen Dionne at the library.  The Marsh King's Daughter is a fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson. A part of the fable is revealed in each chapter of this book. The setting is the upper peninsula of Michigan which is a place I have always wanted to visit.  Now I want to go there even more.  I want to visit Sault Saint Marie and Marquette and the marshes in between the towns.  The narrator is the story is Helena. She grows up in the marsh isolated from all but her parents.  She knows how to track animals, to forage for food, to hunt, to fish, and how to trap animals. She has a Bowie knife and she knows how to use it. She knows that when you slit the throat of an animal you must angle your body so the blood doesn't hit you in the face. Although this is not a true story, it is very believable and I am glad I found it on the shelves.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...