Friday, October 26, 2018

Ravelstein

I picked up Ravelstein at the library, the last novel written by Saul Bellow.  I picked it up because I liked his earlier book, The Adventures of Augie March.  I did not like this book as much as the Augie March book.  This story is about two elderly men.  One of them is a professor and the other one is a writer. Both of them are in and out of the hospital facing indignities and humiliations that come with being old and ill. Some parts of the book are really sad. I understand the book is based on Saul's friendship with Allen Bloom.  Bellow is a very accomplished American author who won many prizes for his work. I am glad I read the book but my next book will have to be something a little less depressing.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...