Thursday, October 4, 2018

Harmonica Class #2

My second harmonica class was a mind bending experience.  I was reminded of chemistry class in 11th grade. We told Mr. Stanley that we were not understanding him.  He told us we were marching through this textbook whether we understood it or not. What I heard from that was the chemistry textbook was more important than the students.  My harmonica teacher isn't like that, at least I hope not.  He is pushing us.  He was talking straight harp versus cross-harp.  First position is straight harp.  Second position is cross harp. During class he expected us to memorize a twelve measure song with the chord number and the note number.  Everybody was a little confused. We also practiced stopping the music with our throats instead of our lungs. We squeeze our muscles in our necks. We practiced. We sounded like a room full of people choking. The woman sitting next to me knows music and her questions didn't help me at all because between her question and his answer I was all the more confused.  I got some of it though.  I have a few more days to practice. The last thing he asked us to practice was the train sounds.  I have the music for the train chugging and the train whistle.  I am sure I will get it.  I am very good at "Mary Had A Little Lamb," already!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...