Sunday, October 21, 2018

Museum of Extraordinary Things

I just finished another book today. This one was written by Alice Hoffman (who wrote Practical Magic and The Dove Keepers and Turtle Moon).  I got an audio book at the library and Judith Light plus two other people read The Museum of Extraordinary Things to me.  I think Judith Light was with Tony Danza in Who's The Boss? I really enjoy Alice Hoffman's work. She seems to be a fierce feminist. This book talks about life on Coney Island around 1911.  The Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire is mentioned.  One of the main characters is a photographer who happens to be there at the fire.  He took photos of girls jumping out of windows and photos of dead bodies on the ground.  The other main character is a woman named Coralie.  Coralie grew up in the Museum of Extraordinary Things. She, herself, is an extraordinary thing.  Her bond with Maureen, the woman who cooks and cleans at the museum, is solid. I liked Coralie. She reminds me of myself. Coralie loves to swim. Unlike me Coralie likes to swim in the frigid water of the Hudson River.  I prefer a pool and 84 degrees Fahrenheit is just right. I really liked this book so I think I will look for more books by Alice Hoffman.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...