Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Should I Try an Uff Da Jar?

Last year I was extremely lucky to get to travel to Poland, Finland, Amsterdam and Germany. To prepare for that trip I tried to learn some of the language. I had Finnish in-laws and they said, "Uff Da," so last year I started saying Uff Da too. Uff Da is a catchy term.  Once you start saying Uff Da it comes out when you least expect it. I lift something heavier than I anticipated and I say "Uff Da."  Someone cuts me off on Highway 10 at 70 miles per hour I say "Uff Da." I overhear someone at work give really poor customer service and I think to myself, "Uff Da." But the thing is I am not Finnish, or at least not very Finnish, I am mostly German and Polish.  I get frustrated when "Uff Da" comes out unexpectedly. To make up for that I try to say something Polish.  I have been saying "Perestroika."  I looked up what Perestroika is and turns out it is Russian. I could say "Za Glosne Wolanie" which is Polish for "for crying out loud."  Or I could say "Co Do Cholery" which is Polish for WTH. I am not sure what to do.  I just want to quit saying "Uff Da."  Maybe I should start an "Uff Da" jar.  I used to put money into a swear jar and that helped me.  Maybe an "Uff Da" jar will help me too?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...