Monday, October 15, 2018

Obviously Desperate Predator

I got home late on Saturday night so I did not check on my chickens when I got home.  When I went to look at them on Sunday morning I saw my chicken coop and run were damaged. Some animal was on top of the run. The top pieces on the top of the run are attached by hinges and the hinges were not attached anymore. However the top of the run was still mostly in place. The weight of the animal tore the screws out of the wood. When I went to check for eggs I opened the egg door and saw one of the shingles lying on the ground.  The roof of the egg door had teeth marks all over the corner of it. I was lucky no chickens were taken by this obviously desperate predator.  I didn't hear a thing from my bedroom but now that it is cold out my windows are closed so I don't hear as much.  I was about to go get my drill and some new screws to reattach the hinges when snow started falling on me. Reattaching the hinges is a chore that can wait for a warmer day.  I took two old rags and set them out by the coop and soaked them in wolf pee.  I put my motion detector light on at my back door.  So far these measures are working. This poor chicken coop and run cannot take too much  more damage though.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...