Sunday, October 14, 2018

Savage Beauty

Two eagles observing us.

Two trumpeter swans ignore us with their head in the water while the cygnet (in front of the stump between the two parents) watches us.
A good friend of mine and I decided to meet Saturday afternoon and take a drive through the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge on the wilderness drive.  As we drove the 9 mile course we saw eagles, hawks, blue jays, trumpeter swans, sparrows, and my first of the year dark eyed juncos.  I also saw a leopard frog jumping across the road. I jumped out of the car to catch it but I was too slow.  I only wanted to catch it and take a photo. Some of the grass was taller than my head. The oak savanna had a savage beauty despite the cloudy skies and the cold wind. The wind actually helped add to the beauty because it gave movement and texture to the landscape.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...