Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Kim

My book club chose Kim by Rudyard Kipling this month.  I had just read Rikki Tikki Tavi so I thought I would like Kim. This is supposed to be a young adult novel but, man, oh, man, it was a difficult read. So many times I thought about giving up. The first few chapters were so difficult because I am not familiar with the Indian terms. The story is about an Irish orphan boy in India making his way in the world. People don't know he is Irish because he acts like a native.  Kim gets himself attached to a Tibetan Lama and seems to be heading down a spiritual path. Here the book is easier to read because Kim and his Lama are taking a journey, walking through the country side and meeting all kinds of people. A British officer notices Kim's masonic medal, a memento from his father, and all that changes. This book is  highly regarded in England as a classic. I am glad I read it but I gotta say, it wasn't easy.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...