Thursday, August 22, 2013

Being Smokey

On Sunday I am volunteering as Smokey the Bear at the Minnesota State Fair.  I can not wait.  Everybody. Loves. Smokey.  Smokey is more popular than Jes . . . well, I don't want to pull a John Lennon here but please know that Smokey is loved by people of all ages and genders.  And since I'm inside the Smokey costume, that means everybody loves me.  The glory of it totally goes to my head!  If you ever have a self-confidence problem, playing Smokey will cure you - at least while you're performing.  Once you take off the hat, the head, the furry feet, the jeans, and the torso with attached arms and claws, your popularity rating plummets fast.  It can be a real shock to be ignored by the public just moments after you've been adored, hugged, photographed, and smiled at.  I am counting the days until Sunday at 11.  That hour between 11 and 12 o'clock will be one of my highlights of the calendar year.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...