Monday, August 12, 2013

Long Distance Call

Today I got a call from Offspring #1 aboard the USS Nimitz. This was actually my second call from the ship but today was different because a) I felt better and b) I finished watching the first of three documentary disks about the USS Nimitz.  I could hear background noise as we talked and in my mind I am imagining the catapult throwing jets into the air.  Those catapults are really loud and even though Offspring #1's bunk is two decks below he can hear the catapult when it is used.  He works very long days and is able to sleep over the noise but I would hazard to say his sleep is not as restful as it could be.  Despite the long distance and the background noise, we had a pretty good connection.  There is a time delay so sometimes we would both start talking at once or both wait for the other one to speak.  Crazy to get a call from the Persian Gulf; crazy and wonderful.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...