Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Query

Have you ever really studied a word long enough that it started to look foreign?  This has happened to me.  If I look at any work long enough, I start to doubt the spelling.  Take the word its for example.  Its. I. T. S.  Its.  Its.  Say its over enough times and its starts to sound weird.  Today I went to a training on the Microsoft product called Access.  And a word they used over and over again was query.  Query.  Like a line of questioning.  Query.  It's a great word in scrabble.  I swear she said query 200 times.  After the first 10 times query started to sound qweery. My stomach started to clench every time she said query. It it wasn't just query.  She said ad hoc queries.  She said query reports.  She even said, I kid you not, that we could "query a query."  As if that makes any sense at all.  I felt like a stranger in a strange land.  The language was a barrier for me.  She talked about primary key, foreign key, relationship ribbons, business integrity, enforce referential integrity, Cartesian products, and dynamicness.  Dynamicness?  I'm going to have to stay up all night processing this three hour training.  Or, and I think I will do this instead, just dive into access tomorrow and try it out and see if some of what she said made sense.  Maybe if I make some query reports it will all start to make sense. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...