Friday, August 23, 2013

Gone Girl

My book club chose to read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  I would not have chosen it for myself even though it's a best selling popular novel.  The book was so popular I couldn't get it in time from the library to finish it before my book club meeting.  I read about half of it before the meeting.  This book is a thriller but I didn't care if I learned the ending ahead of time.  The discussion of the book is sometimes just as much fun as the reading of the book.  I ended up finishing it though after the meeting because it was horribly fascinating.  Let me tell you, this author is one sick lady.  How she could write about the marriage of Nick and Amy and the terrible things they did to each other - well she has to have a very twisted mind.  I fear for her husband.  I wouldn't invite her into my house for a meal I can tell you that much.  The woman who researched the book said Gillian Flynn writes her novels in the basement of her house and then comes upstairs to make meals for her husband and two year old child.  Creepy.  She writes about such terribly angry and sociopathic behavior that I question where she gets her ideas from. I've never met anyone as nasty as Amy Elliot Dunne.  I've never read about any character as nasty as Amy Elliot Dunne.  I heard this book may be made into a movie and that Ben Affleck will play Nick Dunne.  I will probably have to watch the movie when it comes out.  This story is like an addiction - it's sick but you just can't help watching.  But after the movie I will have to spend some time interacting with an honest and sincere friend to rinse that twisted manipulative behavior out of my mind.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...