Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fun at the Fair

The biggest pig at the fair having a snack.
Offspring #2 as Smokey

Today we went to the fair.  I took it easy because of my bum leg and because of the heat.  We got there around 8 a.m. when it wasn't busy and wasn't as hot.  We walked to the swine barn because I always enjoy seeing the biggest pig.  This time he was standing up and having a little something to eat.  I've only seen them lying down before.  We walked through the cow barn and into the horse coliseum.  Here is where I sat and rested my leg for almost two hours before my volunteer duties started.  I watched horse competitions.  I saw people of all ages and genders riding horses.  They had miniature horses pulling carts as well.  What struck me as funny is that the people riding in carts pulled my miniature horses were dressed in evening gowns and pearl necklaces for the ladies and suits with bow ties and fedoras for the gentlemen.  I enjoyed watching the horse competitions.  Soon it was time to head over to the Department of Natural Resources building and don the Smokey suit. I put on the vest with pockets of blue ice, the Wrangler jeans (60x32), the big hairy feet, the heavy, hairy torso with attached arms and hands and finally the head with the hat.  People notice Smokey right away.  They come right over while getting their cameras out.  If they don't approach me I wave at them.  I wave at everybody and try to get them to wave at me.  Most of them do wave at me eventually; my waves get more vigorous if they don't wave back right away.  I'm on a waving mission here.  A group of teens is seated at a picnic table.  They glance up at me and look away.  What!  Look away from Smokey?  I march over there as fast as my big hairy feet can take me.  I put my hands on the shoulders of one of the teens.  He looks up and is a little frightened and the group warms up.  Now they want their picture with me.  I knew it all along.  They like Smokey but were too cool to show it.  Being Smokey is such a rush.  People say I'm brave because of the heat.  People say they wouldn't play Smokey in this weather.  I don't see it that way at all.  The hour I spend in the Smokey suit is one of the best hours of the calendar year.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...