Friday, August 16, 2013

Something Has Got To Change

This morning a fox came by to disturb my chickens at 6:10.  I went out to the deck but before I got there the fox had left.  I thought that was strange for the fox to give up so easy.  Turns out it didn't give up.  At 6:30, as I was preparing my protein shake and happened to be looking out the kitchen window, I saw a two front attack.  One red fox dashed at the chickens from the south while another dashed at them from the east.  Where did the second fox come from?  Is it a spouse or a kit?  The chickens went nuts.  Like teenagers they panicked and threw themselves against the run in all directions.  Feathers were flying.  The chickens thrashed against the sides and the top of the run.  I saw the top of the run raise a couple inches in the air.  I went out on the deck and yelled.  One fox took off for the hills.  The other stood there looking at me.  I used my "Mom" voice which generally works but not this time.  The fox just looked at me.  I picked up a couple pieces of scrap deck wood and waved them in the air.  I made myself look large.  No response.  I banged the pieces of wood together.  No response. I held one board up as if I was going to throw it at the fox. No response.  We stared at each other.  I scowled and stuck out my tongue.  Eventually the fox ambled away. You know if the chickens would just go into the coop when the fox came to visit, everything would be fine.  But no, they panic.  Their panic will be the death of them.  Something is going to have to change.  I consulted with a master naturalist friend of mine who also raises chickens.  He has dealt with raccoons, coyotes, dogs, owls,  possums and bear.  He suggested assassination, live trapping, or electric fence.  I don't want to kill the fox.  I hate to live trap a fox if she is the mother of helpless kits.  Electric fence?  I guess it's my only option.  Until I get that set up I guess I will set up some mouse traps near the coop and keep some metal pots and pans handy to bang together in case my "Mom" voice looses all it's power.  This red fox is sure persistent!

2 comments:

Cajo said...

Time to refill the CO2 for the paintball gun?

Sue said...

Yes, that would be a good idea. Just shooting at it would give me some satisfaction.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...