Thursday, August 15, 2013

Threats to My Chickens

My chickens have been threatened at least 3 times in the past two weeks that I know of.  The latest incident was Monday morning.  I was taking a shower.  My bathroom window is close to the coop.  When I turned the water off I could hear the girls were in an uproar.  I peeked out the window and saw the fox. I yelled at it. Normally it will run off when I use my "Mom" voice on it but not this time.  Maybe it didn't listen because I didn't respond as quickly to it's interference because the water was running.  In any case the fox didn't listen. So I upped my verbal threats.  "Go on!  Get outta here!"  I yelled.  No response from the fox.  So I yelled out the window, at 6:05 a.m., at the top of my lungs, "Go on!  I got a gun!"  Yes, I lied to a fox.  And then I questioned the judgement of yelling "I got a gun!" out a window as loud as I did.  I would be concerned if I overheard one of my neighbors yelling those four words.  So I quit yelling out the window.  Dripping wet and with my robe not quite closed I jumped out onto the deck and yelled at the fox again while he could see me.  And he left.  I'm not sure if the sight or the sound of me scared him off.  Yesterday when I went to bring the chickens fresh water and to collect eggs I found some scat right next to the coop.  The scat was of a narrow gauge and twisted.  And there was hair in it.  Some carnivore dropped that scat and right next to the coop.  It could be fox scat.  But it could also be feral cat scat.  Feral cats prowl my neighborhood.  I've seen them kill birds but they could also get a mouse or a vole. Finding the scat of a carnivore right next to the chicken coop is not a reassuring sight. I hope it belonged to a cat and not a fox.   

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...