Thursday, January 8, 2015

Humpty Dumpty in Oakland

I read Humpty Dumpty in Oakland by Philip K. Dick while I was in Florida.  I chose it because it looked interesting and was very thin and could pack into the suitcase easily.  And I read it in my bedroom at night before going to sleep while listening to the ocean waves roll in and to the voices of my sisters as they talked.  My bed was very plush and much softer than my bed at home so this was a very cozy read.  This story takes place is Oakland, California in 1960.  A businessman rents part of his building to another businessman who shoddily repairs jalopies so they can be driven away but won't last long.  The story is told from both men's perspective.  Which one has the best business sense?  Who will be successful and who will not?  This story proves that attitude can be the biggest, most debilitating disability of all. I enjoyed the story because traveling back to 1960 was a trip down memory lane. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...