Friday, January 2, 2015

Inspiration

Being in the hospital and getting a new hip was tough.  They basically take your leg off and put it on again.  I found that having the job that I do made this easier. I work with people who have developmental disabilities.  I don't have a developmental disability so I am blessed.  When I had urinary retention problems I thought about a woman I work with who has the same issue.  My issue was temporary.  I only get this problem after surgery.  She faces this problem every single day.  Yet she smiles and laughs and works.  If she can do it, surely I can.  I struggled getting my clothes on without breaking the rule of 90 degree maximum flexion of the hips.  Pulling up my pants is hard without bending more than 90 degrees at my waist. I stick my sore leg in the pant leg and then pull up at the waist band with my 26 inch reacher.  I wiggle it around but before I go too high I put my left leg in.  Once the waistband is above my knees I can reach it with my hands.  This takes time.  I can't just jump into my jeans and go.  I work with people who have hemiplegia.  Their fine motor skills are terrible.  Adjusting their clothes takes them 5 times as long as it takes me. My fine motor skills are great so who am I to complain that it takes a few more minutes  to get my pants up?  I'm not in any hurry. I have no appointments to keep.  With all the drugs I am on sometimes my words come out wrong. I say elephant when I want to say pelican.  I have trouble asking for what I want.  My memory of what was said at the hospital is different than what Offspring #2 heard and she corrects me.  I work with people who stutter or who can't talk at all.  Who am I to complain that I had to repeat myself or be corrected?  I work with a fellow who was struck by a car when he was 15 and suffered a traumatic brain injury.  He was in a coma for 6 months.  His loving parents took wonderful care of him and although he is nearing 50, in his head he is still 15 and he still loves Kawasaki dirt bikes.  He is unable to remember what he said 15 seconds ago.  But when I greet him he gives me a smile that goes from ear to ear.  To help him remember my name I put my hands out in front of me as if I'm holding motorcycle handlebars and I twist the throttle.  Then he shouts out, "Suzuki" and has a big smile for me that I totally do not deserve.  Every day he does this for me.  Not just every day but every time I see him he does this.  Where I work not only do they give me an office and a paycheck but my job gives me a good mental outlook to get through a temporary difficulty. Keeping my problems in perspective reduces my anxiety and suffering.  That alone is something money can not buy.  Don't tell my supervisor but I should be paying them.  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...